Finally, I have gone back to my posting schedule!! Let’s hope it stays this way because I am finally getting organised – all my assignments are getting done, and I find that I have more free time, perfect for reading, taking photos, and of course, blogging!! Continue reading “Book Review: Me, Earl, and the Dying Girl By Jesse Andrews”
So recently, I got my very first book box from Owlcrate, and I absolutely loved it!! It was so amazing to unbox each of the goodies inside, and there were so many too! So hence the inspiration for this blog post, are book boxes worth it?
So first off, I got the Owlcrate January box this week, and it was my first, just like I mentioned before. Needless to say, I was very excited to get it in the mail, and to notice all the wonderfully packed goodies inside!! I won’t spoil anything, so if you haven’t gotten your January book box yet, you don’t need to cover your eyes and scan for spoilers! 🙂
When I got my first book box, I didn’t know what to expect because this was my first ever product from Owlcrate, and even though I always fantasised about getting my own Owlcrate one day, I still didn’t know what would be inside. So, the element of surprise in any book box is amazing, and because you know that you will be getting bookish items, it gets even more intriguing!! I love the element of surprises, and book boxes certainly do that!! You don’t know what you will get until the mailman comes at your door with that wonderful little box you’ve been waiting for. And the feeling is awesome because you sill don’t know what will be in the package unlike most of your online purchases. So in terms of a little surprise waiting at your doorstep, and the excitement of opening you book box, it is certainly worth it!
Now, onto the quality and amount of items inside your box. Most book boxes will cost anywhere between about 30 dollars and up depending on the currency you use and where you live (shipping costs). Some book box companies have shipping already included, and I would highly recommend those book boxes because you don’t need to worry about additional costs. Now, if you do have to pay for shipping, try to find a company that has cheaper shipping if you live really far away. Also, keep in mind that this package can take a long time to send if you pay for standard shipping, or if standard shipping is what’s included in the cost of a book box. My book box came from California, and it took nearly two weeks to come in my mail!!
So, keep that in mind when you are buying bookish boxes – maybe some have faster shipping than others, if that is important to you.
Now, onto the amount of items in each box. I have to say, I was very pleased with the amount of goodies that were packed into my box. There was a lot of variety, and the contents were all very cute bookish items that I knew I would love instantly!! So in terms of the quantity, I’d say you get a good run for your money. I would say that the more expensive the box is, chances are there are more stuff that have better quality, or less stuff that have superb quality. But, make sure to pay attention to previous book boxes and what was in them to know what amount of money you are willing to pay for a book box. If a book box costs 70 dollars to buy, make sure to look at previous boxes and see what was included. If you don’t see anything impressive, then look for another company. I bought my Owlcrate for around 50 dollars with shipping, and although it is pricey for one box, the amount of items I got made the cost worth it. I knew right away when I opened the box that if I were to buy each item separately, it would exceed the cost of the box.
Needless to say, some book boxes do seem like they’re not worth your money, but it’s up to you to decide! I would also try and pick book boxes that are in your country or in a country closer to you so that the shipping is less expensive. And as for the quality, I have no complaints. Everything in my Owlcrate was packaged nicely and carefully, and I appreciated that! With most book boxes, you will be satisfied with the packaging. Many people who start these kinds of businesses have a passion towards books and reading, so their appreciation for novels and bookish items will make a difference in how the goods are handled. I also notice that many companies do not mass produce thousands upon thousands of book boxes, so it’ more likely for your packaging to be well taken care of. If packaging is important to you, then look for smaller companies because chances are, there will be more care put towards making sure all the goodies are safely inside! Of course, all companies make sure to keep a careful eye on their distribution, and usually book boxes contain nothing fragile, so you don’t need to worry too much!!
To conclude, I have bough my very first book box, and I am very happy with the results!! I have a bunch of bookish items now to fill up my shelf, and the whole process of getting an Owlcrate was exciting!! Make sure to do some research before picking a box so that you know which one fits your needs, like the shipping price, the handling of your package, and the cost. I would definitely recommend Owlcrate to any person who is a first time book box buyer, because it worked out very well for me! I think that all book boxes are amazing, and in the end, it’s up to your tastes… and you budget. *Sigh*. Don’t we all wish we can have an infinite budget for books and bookish things?
Anyhow, I hope this was helpful in some way. Conclusion? Book boxes are Worth It! There’s so many varieties of boxes you can buy, and you will find the right one for the right price! Now that I think about it, maybe I’ll start a new segment on my blog, “Worth it, or not?”
Now I am going to indulge in my new book box goodies, and think of new posts for my new segment, “Worth it, or not?”
Until next, time Happy Reading, and Happy Wordy Wednesday!! 🙂
Happy Wordy Wednesday!! So now it’s time for a new post for this week, and I decided to create this one about writing!! Lately I have been on a binge – I have been writing non-stop and somehow I have all of these ideas, and I need to write them all down!! Currently I am actually working on two long term projects as well as some short writing works!! So, I decided to create some tips that help me stay organised when writing, and how to make your writing more engaging and interesting!!!
- What do you do when you have a ton of ideas for multiple projects, stories, etc? I have you covered!! If your brain is running with ideas for multiple books or short stories, my solution is simple but it will require some time. First off, it’s a good idea to have one notebook/journal for each project so that your ideas are organised and don’t get mixed up. Plus, you will always have space to add onto your ideas for each writing work!! So, now onto making sure you don’t lose your amazing idea or scene you have in mind. Make sure that first off, you write the idea down in your notebook, but sometimes it may feel like you are selling the idea short and you aren’t capturing it all. So, just write the whole scene!! I know, this takes time, but it is really worth it! Not only will you get the satisfaction of writing a really good scene or part in your work, you will also de-clutter your mind that is racing with tons of ideas for multiple stories!!
- Now onto staying organised. A good idea is to use a journal or notebook, and to transfer all the ideas you have into your notebook. That way no sheets of paper will get lost, and you will not have to look for them everywhere around your house!! As well, like I mentioned earlier, it is important to keep a journal for each of your long term works, and one journal for your short stories! Also, keep in mind that if you write an idea down onto a separate sheet of paper because you didn’t have your notebook handy, make sure to transfer that idea into your notebook so that your idea won’t get lost!! If you have messy handwriting and you know it will be a pain to read what you wrote, a good idea is to word process your idea and type it on your computer. It will save you time, and you won’t have to squint your eyes at every illegible word you wrote down!!
- Point number three!! When you are writing, a good idea is to incorporate real-life stories or events that happened to you. Not only will your writing become more interesting, it will also become better!! When you have to retell a funny story for example, or when you are looking back at some great memories, try to incorporate some bits and pieces into your work! Because you won’t have to make up something from scratch, it will sound more relatable and realistic – and all because it actually happened! The same thing goes for when you hear something interesting, like a phrase someone said in class or something funny you and your friend saw. If you use a grain of truth in some of you retells, you incorporate yourself into the story and it will make you more attached to it because you are sharing some of your memories!! Now, make sure to fit the stories or phrases into the the context, and you can obviously tinker with how much of each experience you want to recount and in how much depth.And trust me, you will see an improvement!!
- Now onto point number 4!! Ever feel like you are stuck with using the same words over and over again? Like when you make a character grin every time or after adding dialogue you just write “they said?” Well, I have some advice! If you don’t know already, try to google the definition of the word you are constantly using, and you will get synonyms for it. Best thing is, this usually pops in right on your search tab so you don’t have to waste time clicking on links. If you search up “define (your word here)” then you will get a google definition complete with synonyms. One click of a button! As well, when you see a synonym you like, just click on it and you will get another google definition for it! This is a very fast and simple way to make sure your writing is not too repetitive. As well, you can also use a thesaurus!
- And last but not least, tip number 5!! Ever feel like your writing is not really engaging? Maybe you wrote for three days straight and then you read back on it and feel like it’s too choppy? A lot of people think that when you write a book or a short work, you write nonstop until it is done, and then you edit it and voila! You are done!! But, if you do this all in the span of a week for a short story, chances are you will miss some mistakes and not see them. So, it is a really good idea to take a break from writing, especially when you feel your creative juices dwindling! Take a few days or hours (if you work on a deadline then take a shorter break, or start earlier!) and then go back to your writing once you feel refreshed. Maybe you went out with some friends or took a nice warm bath with a book, whatever it is, take some time to enjoy your day and relax, and then go back to reviewing your work or writing! I guarantee you that you will most likely find something you want to revise that you didn’t notice before! This is a really good tip, and sometimes I find myself revising something after a few months of not seeing anything wrong! This is especially good for long term projects such as novels or novellas, because overtime you will become a more experienced and better writer and you will begin to notice mistakes you didn’t see before! When I wrote my novel, I didn’t expect to catch mistakes a week after I edited it! It truly makes a difference in your writing, and you can see how much you improved from beginning to end!
And that is it from me!! Top five writing tips for all you writers out there! Now grab a pen, pencil, or keyboard and keep writing away!!
So here is my first post for Wordy Wednesday!! Since my new schedule has been introduced, I decided to spend some time gathering a list of 5 great places where you can read!! If you want some quiet time with a good book, or want to get really cozy, I have some ideas!!! Continue reading “Top Five: Places to Read”
So, first off, I want to say I love blogging, and I can’t get enough! It has been so much fun to share my passions for books and writing, but I have to make sure my studies for school come first!! I really want to pick up my grades and it is getting more difficult to do so. So, I have decided to create a new blogging schedule for the next few months, probably until June. Continue reading “Blogging Schedule 2017!!!”
So the new year is here, and I decided to do a post on new books that are going to come out this year! There are definitely a lot of new YA books coming out this year, and I decided to outline the top 5 that I think will be most anticipated! Continue reading “Top 5 Anticipated YA Books of 2017”
Time for another book review!! I recently finished the Queen of Shadows By Sarah J Maas, and I have to say it was pretty good!! Now I am reading Empire of Storms, and then I have to wait for the sequel to come out!!! Continue reading “Book Review: Queen of Shadows By Sarah J Maas”